Bob

Yahoo! Avatars

Sunday, July 18, 2010

11.5 Things. Thing #11.5

1. What were your favorite discoveries of exercises on this learning journey?

There were many cool things on this journey, some of them I was already familiar with, others only partly, some, new and fun, and some ,new and not so fun. One of the things I found new and fun was the screencast. I found this very useful as a teaching tool in teaching things that have to do with a computer, including access to the Internet and Web 2.0. I also found that I liked the image generators. I was already very familiar with Animoto, but was surprised to learn about Voki, Bookr, and Glogster. I can see many uses for these in education. I also liked Wordle and Wordsift as they give meaning to text that might not jump out at you without it.

2. How has this assisted or affected your lifelong learning goals?

I see this as a catalyst to seeing the possibilities. Without teaching tools like this, we might become stagnant. This tool actually gave me a boost in wanting to see what else is out there and how I can use it in my life and my work. I don't see this just as a boost to my teaching credentials but also a boost to my personal life. While much of what is out there might appeal to other people, there is still much that appeals to me and this exercise helps me achieve accessing these opportunities.

3. Were there any take-aways or any unexpected outcomes from this program that surprised you?

Well, surprise is a strong word. I don't really get too surprised when it comes to new technology. I am a person fully aware of technological advances. However, that beign said, I still was surpried at how advanced virtual worlds have become. Many people are in the system at any one time and one can "run into" another just like in the real world. Scary.

4. What could we do differently to improve upon this program's format or concept?

I'm not sure you really couls improve this in its current form. This is a great tool to introduce people to the Internet and Web. 2.0. I think that you could improve upon this format for a differnet set of objectives and that is to realy make the player more involved in the process and create actual working products that directly relate to education. I know that there is a 6.75 things and that this might address this but I have not looked at them yet.

No comments: