Bob

Yahoo! Avatars

Sunday, July 18, 2010

11.5 Things. Thing #11

Digital citizenship is all of the things that have to do with Internet access, from etiquette to literacy. I noticed that many of the blogs focused more on literacy than the others. I can see why since they are teachers and in education our primary focus is on how to use the Internet in teaching and research. I think that I would probably share that focus more with the other facets as the Internet is fast becoming a primary form of communication and information gathering tool for these students both formally and informally. I would probably start with the less "dry" part of digital citizenship to catch their attention. These would ecompass digital etiquette, communication, law, and security. We would cover how to properly use the Internet and how to not properly use the Internet covering things such as cyber bullying, putting too much personal information out, legal ramifications of plagerism, etc. Then I would move into digital literacy and talk about checking resources and not relying on Google, etc. I would finish with some of the more "sexy" parts of digital citizenship such as commerce. I could be fun to look at sites such as ebay, Amazon, etc. and how to trust them as well. Digital citizenship is pretty encompassing and might take more than one lesson.

No comments: