Bob

Yahoo! Avatars

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Thing #9

While Syndic8.com has a home page that is hard on the eyes, I found that the result page was quite useable. I think Feedster is out of business. Google Blog Search and Technorati are probably the two most used. Technorati is better for categories but Google Blog Search is probably faster. They are all kind of confusing at first but that’s just because the concept is new to me. I think that less is “more” for some of the sites. I liked Edublogs' award winners. This is a good place to find some interesting blogs. I found The tempered radical under the “Best teacher” blog category cool. It can provide insight for fellow teachers, students and especially administrators.

3 comments:

VWB said...

glad you started linking to all your good examples...the links are a big part of why blogs are such important information resources!!

Grendel said...

I will have to check out the tempered radical's blog. Sounds interesting.

Bill F. said...

Bob,

Glad that you found the Radical and thought it was interesting. It's something I enjoy writing primarily because it helps to make teaching transparent to outsiders....and in a world where everyone seems to think they know what we do, transparency is much needed.

I also read your bit about RSS feeds. I've got to tell you that RSS feeds are playing an increasingly important role in my classroom for two reasons:

1. My students enjoy reading blogs by other students and with RSS feeds, I can give them instant access to high quality, age-appropriate examples.

2. We study daily current events in class and with RSS feeds, I can give students quick access to current events focused on the region of the world that we study.

I use Pageflakes and have created two open "Pagecasts" that students can view. Here they are:

To student blogs:
http://www.pageflakes.com/pearson.education/19722695

To current events:
http://www.pageflakes.com/wferriter/16714925

I can imagine creating additional Pagecasts in the future that link to sites of interest for other areas that we study.

RSS feeds help users---students or teachers---to organize the mounds of information that we're buried by online....a "new literacy" for tomorrow.

Does this make sense?
Bill Ferriter
The Tempered Radical